Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 Well-formed GEDCOMS

Replies: 39

Re: What about Roles / Associations?

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 10:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Yikes, my head is spinning.

Your answer, plus other comments in this thread:

1) Illustrates to me what people say when they say the Gedcom standard has fallen out of date and becomes more irrelevant with each passing year that the Gedcom standard is not updated.

2) Suggests a person starting in genealogy should think carefully about the software they want to start with, as the ability to actually transfer data cleanly and completely to other genealogy programs is weak today and getting weaker with each passing year. In short, a person choosing a program today may very well become locked into that program.

I use "role" and "association" as the normal meaning to the words.

Role attaches to an event, and is the role that person played in the event. A baptism can have a person with a role as a godparent, as well as parents, the baby, the attendees, and the priest/preacher. A neighbor in a census is a role in the taking of a census, but could also be an association, ie "Joe is my neighbor". Sam is an executor of a will, Bob is a witness to a will, Jose is a maker to a will. A Will can actually have three events that roles can be attched to: the making of it, the proving of it, and the probating(Inventorying) of it.

Associations attach People to People: Some Associations can also be roles, ie a person being a GodParent is an association, but could be a role in a baptism.

An implementation problem with roles is that there will be persons that will need to exist within a database of persons who have roles in events - who the researcher does not want to have in their list of "names" in their genealogy database. In other words, there would need to be a Role Data Base just like there is a separate database for Places and Sources - to put the preacher at the baptism, marriage, or funeral.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kj_norway 29 Dec 2011 4:02PM GMT 
silverfox3280 29 Dec 2011 5:57PM GMT 
padmin1 29 Dec 2011 6:18PM GMT 
kj_norway 29 Dec 2011 7:01PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 29 Dec 2011 8:08PM GMT 
kj_norway 29 Dec 2011 9:35PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 29 Dec 2011 8:12PM GMT 
Tommy Peterss... 9 Aug 2012 2:44PM GMT 
Tommy Peterss... 9 Aug 2012 2:31PM GMT 
kj_norway 12 Aug 2012 6:42PM GMT 
per page