Search for content in message boards

How to link sources to repositories for Italian records

Replies: 30

Re: How to link sources to repositories for Italian records

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Mark! I'm happy to say that the approach I worked out with Marco's help is still working well for me, and I'm glad to hear that our conversation has been of help to you as well. I actually ended up putting together a set of guidelines with screen shots to share with some colleagues who are researching the same area in Italy. If these would be of any help to you, send me a private message with your email address, and I'd be happy to forward it--once I find it in my files!

One further modification I've made for efficiency is that I'm now writing up a full extract of key information in each record under "citation text," which then helps me to use the same citation for many more facts. A slight exception to this is for marriage processetti, where I list the allegati that are attached but create separate citations for birth and death records that are included, so the one citation doesn't become too long.

That's interesting that you have a Minneapolis connection, too. I was working in central administration at the U of M as director of educational development and then as a VP at the Minnesota Private College Council when you lived here. The Crystal FHC is the very one I use. There's only one other in north St. Paul and then the Minnesota History Center, which I hear gets crowded. There used to be one in Eagan, but it closed. I wish there was one closer and open longer hours, as it's a 45-minute hike to Crystal from my house between Minnehaha Park and Lake Nokomis in south Minneapolis. Now, the microfilm viewer I was using for reading and photographing Italian records has died, so I'm competing with other patrons for the one other machine that works for these thin films.

Good luck with your research, Mark. I'm on several other Italian genealogy discussion lists (ItalianGenealogy.com and some on LinkedIn), so we may meet up again.

Lesley
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lcaf31 18 Feb 2012 8:36PM GMT 
Mark D'Ambros... 4 Oct 2012 10:26AM GMT 
lcaf31 4 Oct 2012 8:34PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 18 Feb 2012 4:05AM GMT 
lcaf31 18 Feb 2012 5:00AM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 19 Feb 2012 10:09PM GMT 
lcaf31 20 Feb 2012 1:04AM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 20 Feb 2012 1:08AM GMT 
lcaf31 20 Feb 2012 5:11AM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 20 Feb 2012 7:07AM GMT