Search for content in message boards

Media missing from ancestry, but tree displays "In Sync"

Replies: 25

Media missing from ancestry, but tree displays "In Sync"

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please excuse the cross posting, but this seems both an FTM and ancestry issue.

I have about 1,000 items of media attached to the tree I have synced between FTM and ancestry.com, some census sheets from ancestry and some photos etc I attached to individuals in FTM. There have been several times that my (manual) sync stalled when the ancestry site was having problems. Now 2 issues have arisen:
1) when I sync I SOMETIMES get the error message that 2 media items failed to sync, do I want to retry or not. If I click retry it beeps but immediately closes the dialog box. If I click No, the dialog box closes without a beep. How do i find which 2 items are giving trouble amongst the 1,000?
2) Much of the time however, the display will say "In Sync". I see 899 “photos” under the Media tab in FTM, incl about 374 census, passenger lists etc which are not kept in the media folder on ancestry, so a net of 636 “real” photos in FTM, versus 517 photo media items appearing in the gallery in ancestry.com. So I need to identify and re-link approximately 636-517 =119 photos, which have mysteriously become detached and deleted in ancestry, which were attached to some of the 3,000 people in my tree. How can I trigger a refresh of the media from FTM to ancestry that would re-link all those 119 at once? Will a change to something else in that individual (e.g. in the person note) trigger such a refresh for that person? In my media folder on my hard drive in FTM, there are 948 items, incl 16 pdf’s or stories, so there a potential additional 948-899-16 = 33 photos that have become unattached inside FTM as well (in addition to the 119 mentioned above). I have identified some individuals that show several photos linked to them in FTM, but on ancestry they show a thumbnail headshot as a default picture, but say "NO media has been added yet", and do NOT show the other media items that were supposedly sync-ed.

The media had previously been on the ancestry tree (and synched) for some time before. It “disappeared” from ancestry.com during an aborted/problematic sync. In fact it shows that at least one piece of media (the headshot) is still on ancestry because it is displayed there, but not listed in the person’s profile. Does that mean that the other pieces of media for that person are also there somewhere, just not listed in the profile? On subsequent syncs FTM shows the 2 trees AND MEDIA as being in sync.

How can I generate a listing of the attached photos in FTM vs the equivalent list in ancestry to compare them side by side and see how many “phantoms” or items are missing from ancestry, and to whom they should be linked? When I look in FTM I see many census etc images which apparently are kept in a separate place in ancestry.com, so the lists are not strictly comparable. The items in FTM media folder can be sorted, but the ones in ancestry's media gallery seem to be listed by date uploaded, which makes comparisons very difficult.
I have not (yet) found a report that can be run in FTM or ancestry that might allow me to compare the media in both: does anyone know of any reports that could be used to do a "side by side" comparison?

Is there a sync log file that would allow me or ancestry tech support to find the problematic 2 or 119 items?

Ancestry Level 2 Tech Support says they can't help re #2 - just try to manually compare all the media files on ancestry vs the media files in the media folder on FTM. That isn't practical because of their number, and the fact that I can't sort them in similar ways to make the comparison easy. Ancestry has them listed by (apparently) date uploaded, and FTM by caption name.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rhew_1 11 Mar 2012 2:46AM GMT 
cts166 18 Mar 2012 2:18AM GMT 
jrgutknecht 19 Jul 2012 2:44PM GMT 
rhew_1 19 Jul 2012 3:15PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 20 Jul 2012 1:54AM GMT 
rhew_1 20 Jul 2012 2:03AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 20 Jul 2012 2:06AM GMT 
rhew_1 20 Jul 2012 6:08AM GMT 
kellyafitz 7 Aug 2012 7:16PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 7 Aug 2012 8:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions