Search for content in message boards

Deleting Blank Marriage Event in FTM 2011

Replies: 6

Re: Deleting Blank Marriage Event in FTM 2011

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
There are varying degrees of complexity. If there are children, you have to delete or attach them to someone first so that the unwanted spouse does not have others attached.

I next go to the Person View/Page of the People mode and delete the marriage event fact so that the marriage no longer ties the couple together.

Then I go to the Family view and delete the spouse.

If ever I get it messed up and have an Unknown as spouse anyway, I rename the unknown as Poop. Then I merge Poop with the legitimate spouse in order to have only one and get rid of the name Poop.

Why Poop? Because I may have many Unknowns, but only one Poop...so I can easily find the Unknown I am trying to get rid of. If ever I find the name Poop left amongst my names I know I still have work to do to finish.

I think that if the spouse you want to eliminate has children that really belong to the spouse you are keeping, then you could just merge the two spouses while choosing to keep the data for the correct one and discarding the data for the one you wish to eliminate BUT I HAVE NOT TRIED IT.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wvl72 24 Mar 2012 5:40PM GMT 
rgaddis 24 Mar 2012 6:06PM GMT 
wvl72 24 Mar 2012 6:49PM GMT 
rgaddis 25 Mar 2012 6:21PM GMT 
wvl72 25 Mar 2012 10:19PM GMT 
ThelmaTomlins... 20 Aug 2013 1:24AM GMT 
sl_kelly 20 Aug 2013 1:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic