Continuing from previous message. I had an email reply and was advised to uninstall and then install the software and download the patch.
This is what I did and most of this was my in my email reply to my email helper
1. I unlinked my trees on Ancestry and deleted the one with the least names and kept the up to date one (I had an up to date one and one that wouldn't sync)
2. I uninstalled FTM (the basic way) as suggested
3. I then installed FTM from the disc and downloaded the update it then restarted
3. I then downloaded my Ancestry Tree and it came out OK with the new people listed
4. I then added a few records on to my Ancestry Tree - ie a few census records and a probate record
5. I then went to FTM which was showing the trees were not synced, so I pressed the sync now button and the message came up "sync not available at the present time, please try later" (I then growled to myself!)
6. I then started to type this message (to the online help)
7. After typing number '5' I thought I would try the sync again, and what happened - it synced!!! (happy bunny!)
8. Next, I thought I would try to see if it synced from FTM to Ancestry, now some of my "Notes" have strange punctuation marks where they shouldn't be, right at the start I had a big problem with notes, all sorts came up, in the end I had to delete the 'mess' and re synced. But a few minutes ago I just did alterations on 2 people, only minor alterations, just to check it worked, pressed sync and the 'Sync not available......' etc came up!! (GRRR!)
9. Tried again and it started to sync, but took a long time, more than 5 minutes, but eventually it finished and it transferred the alterations OK.
So now, it is working OK!!!! But will it continue, it has taken about 2 hours to sort it this evening, but I am smiling at the moment :-) ;-)