Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 and "Cloud" usage

Replies: 16

Re: FTM 2012 and "Cloud" usage

Posted: 25 Feb 2014 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
I use the Skydrive "cloud" (now called Onedrive as of last week) from Microsoft. I have used FTM 2012 on my desktop computer for the last couple years. When working on my laptop I had resigned myself to using the online tree (as we all know FTM is a lot more robust than the online tree). I recently decided to try to copy all my FTM files into my cloud to see if I can use FTM on both my desktop and my laptop.... here is what I have.
My desktop computer syncs with the online tree
My laptop computer access the files that the desktop creates without an issue

.... well there is ONE issue!!!! You have to give your "cloud" files time to update or it messes up the entire situation!!
Example
If I am working on my laptop and close the program at 10:02 am, it can take some time (amounts can very depending on internet speed and your syncing choices) for the files to update on my desktop computer. If I open my desktop program BEFORE the file has been updated this will create a big problem. The laptop now recognizes "our family tree file" is being used so makes a SECOND copy with a slightly different name.

So while using the cloud for FTM works wonderfully, and makes my genealogy efforts that much easier, you do have to be careful or you can make a mess for yourself!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LJCzarnik 29 Apr 2012 12:58PM GMT 
Timberhawk 29 Apr 2012 6:32AM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 29 Apr 2012 5:50PM GMT 
Timberhawk 30 Apr 2012 3:23PM GMT 
silverfox3280 29 Apr 2012 9:48PM GMT 
Jennifer Sand... 25 Feb 2014 3:25PM GMT 
keithnuttle 25 Feb 2014 11:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions