Search for content in message boards

2012 Relationship Calculator Should Display DIRECT relationships as a default

Replies: 18

Re: 2012 Relationship Calculator Should Display DIRECT relationships as a default

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 10:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Oct 2012 10:51AM GMT
yes The fact that the Relationship Calculator DOES NOT select the most direct blood relationship that is a Great Grandparent but rather displays a lesser one that nigthbe a Great Aunt/Uncle is just rediculous in that most serious genealogists and researchers want their DIRECT line to display not a lesser realtionship. I understand that when you go so far back (15th 16th century) that it is possible to ahve numerous relationships and decents but the bottom line is a Great Grandparent is the one most are interested in and teh system should when a Great Grandparent is among the realtionships defer to that one ratehr than a lesser one. It is clearly incorrect when it will display the child of a Great grandparent as an Aunt or Uncle and then display that person's child as a Great Grandparent also I ahveotehr problems with it as it also seems to defer to a male line when you are descended from both the male and female lines of a family for instance it displays one realtion as a 3rd cousin x times removed and display all but 1 of their children as 4th cousins which is correct but it displays 1 of the family group as a wife of a cousin this is because I am descended from both (Stewart) family lines but the system is not recognising the mutual descent of the female and displays her as a spouse rather than a 4th cousin which she is blood wise but the part that really demonstrates that the system is wrong is that it displays in the Relationship Calculator 'no common relative' for this person when clearly we are descended from a common source - how could her father be a 3rd cousin and she nothing but a 'spouse'? yet her siblings are my 4th cousins. All very annoying.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JMRrump 5 Oct 2012 1:39PM GMT 
cohsen 5 Oct 2012 4:47PM GMT 
michaelgrever 22 Apr 2013 2:30PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 22 Apr 2013 2:39PM GMT 
michaelgrever 22 Apr 2013 3:15PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 22 Apr 2013 3:22PM GMT 
michaelgrever 22 Apr 2013 4:46PM GMT 
nmbroker1 16 Oct 2012 9:58PM GMT 
ashleygable 12 Jun 2013 12:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions