Search for content in message boards

Unable to register; "No internet Connection"

Replies: 15

Unable to register; "No internet Connection"

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been using FTM since 2009, however this problem is often an issue and has plagued me in the past. Looking through the message boards, it is often repeated. WAY too often.

So, I'm wanting to do more research and use FTM along with Ancestry.com since I've made contact with new family members. I've upgraded software to 2012 (please, please work since 2011 didn't), but can't register. I managed to get past registration by changing the registry key and able to login on the Web Search page. I've added FTM.EXE as an exception in the Windows Firewall (but since the connection is outgoing to ports 80 and 443 it shouldn't matter).

I've noticed that if I enter bad credentials on the login (Go to Web Search and next to the Address Bar, choose browser options button and Log In To Ancestry), it doesn't prompt me that they are good or bad. I can enter two different passwords (one with uppercase first char, the other with lower - I know which is right, but it takes both, however if I press random keys on the kbd, it does prompt that the password failed. Great stuff).

Then I went to Plan and clicked "Upload and Link to Ancestry". I haven't started paying for service again (and won't until it starts working), but should be able to access my online account through the software.

I was able to use Wireshark to capture packets when attempting to "Upload and Link...". Results can't be attached because the filetype isn't allowed (pcap file).

Basically I get a DNS lookup for www.familytreemaker.com with a return of 66.43.21.214. Then FTM reaches out on HTTP with a get request and the response is http/1.0 404 Not Found. Looks like their web server is missing the something that allows FTM to work in my situation.

So, since I have a hardware firewall with a cache, I disabled the cache. No luck. The results from Wireshark seem to tell me that there is something wrong with their server, but might be Windows 7? Internet Explorer 9? 64bit OS? A systems engineer with 20 years of experience trying to use the software? Is it because I'm behind a corporate firewall that HTTP requests don't work (they do in IE, Firefox, Chrome). I do have an Intel PRO/1000 PT dual port server adapter in my computer. Could this be the problem?

I'm lost. What do I do besides not renew my subscription. (I cancelled it in the past when I upgraded to 2011 and it didn't work. Since then have moved, new ISP, different computer - can't blame them).

I've looked through the help that's available on their site, but if anyone can give me a clue where else I might look, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
David
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David Sain 20 Jul 2012 6:10PM GMT 
georgiarednec... 20 Jul 2012 11:04PM GMT 
georgiarednec... 21 Jul 2012 1:16AM GMT 
David Sain 21 Jul 2012 1:28AM GMT 
jeffjahn 21 Jul 2012 2:16AM GMT 
georgiarednec... 21 Jul 2012 3:04AM GMT 
David Sain 21 Jul 2012 5:52AM GMT 
David Sain 22 Jul 2012 2:05PM GMT 
georgiarednec... 22 Jul 2012 11:49PM GMT