Ever wanted to "see" direct lineage in the PEOPLE section? Here is a suggestion.
This post is not related to PUBLISH section and all the lineage reports - they are great and allow adequate slicing/dicing to view direct lineage. The below suggestion, however, enhances PUBLISH.
This post is focused on the PEOPLE section with the objective of sharing how one can "view" and filter direct lineage as a data field (that can also be used in PUBLISH).
1) Either add a new ANCESTRY field -OR- customize the LINEAGE data field (Edit/Manage Facts) to be description only.
2) Add this field to the right side (Customize View).
3) For all the "grandparents", enter a code. The one I use is: position #1 is either "m" (maternal) or "p" (paternal); position #2-3 is "00" through "99" (using the lineage level at the top of that column); position #4-5 are optional and I use "gg" to indicate 'GreatGrandparent'. A full code of "m04gg" reminds me this is my 'Maternal 4xGreat Grandparent'.
FTM12 "wishes" on this topic:
1) Automatically populate a field - the info is already being put out as a full sentence, so automatically code this for us.
2) To the TREE - in the Tools/Options section, provide a toggle box to add box border (e.g., red) for direct lines - providing a visual clue.