Search for content in message boards

Fixing duplicates and re-synching

Replies: 14

Re: Fixing duplicates and re-synching

Posted: 10 Aug 2012 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2012 2:42PM GMT
I'm a bit confused. When you found that your FTM file had all these problems, why didn't you trash it and use:

1) Backup
2) Your ancestry file - just download it as a separate file to your hard drive.

You said: "My question: since I'm pretty sure you can't tell FTM to sync only one way

Sure, the good, old-fashoned one-way uploading and downloading is still available. You upload at in the Websearch workspace, upper right corner: share. From ancestry.com download to your hard drive as an FTM file (don't need a gedcom), you access at your on-line tree under Settings.

So, I take it you now have two good files? One is ancestry and one is in ftm? And they both are supposed to be in synch but you have sync on manual? I would break the sync. I think you can do that by creating a new directory and then copying your ftm file and related media folder to it. Then leave the current ancestry tree and "old" ftm file as "archival" backups for awhile. Then upload your "new" FTM (via share, not sync) to ancestry.

I've heard too many scary stories, like yours, about sync. I am not using it. I still like WorldConnect. It shows alternative names in the index and it allows the host to be able to say whether viewers can download anything or not. (I choose not.) You don't have that choice with an ancestry tree. People can "take" your stuff only one family at a time, but over an afternoon, they can take quite a few families of your work.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AllisonPJ 10 Aug 2012 8:00PM GMT 
tulrose 10 Aug 2012 8:19PM GMT 
AllisonPJ 10 Aug 2012 11:27PM GMT 
tulrose 11 Aug 2012 12:33AM GMT 
AllisonPJ 11 Aug 2012 1:10AM GMT 
Barbara Taylo... 11 Aug 2012 2:00AM GMT 
AllisonPJ 11 Aug 2012 3:23PM GMT 
silverfox3280 10 Aug 2012 8:37PM GMT 
AllisonPJ 10 Aug 2012 11:22PM GMT 
Melstrup 21 Oct 2012 1:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions