One thing I have noticed about the updates is they do not give the user any clue about what is happening, as in your case, and no clue when the update has finished successfully either.
I have found it best to start a program/software update then go have lunch or breakfast or whatever will take me away from the computer for a long time. Otherwise, I'm sitting here waiting for something - anything - to tell me what it is doing and just get frustrated.
Today is the first time I have tried to sync since I completely re-downloaded my tree 2 weeks ago. And, after getting the log report, got the infamous "an error has occurred...."