Search for content in message boards

City Without County in Place Hierarchy?

Replies: 23

Re: City Without County in Place Hierarchy?

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Marco Comment

"Geographical distinctions that differ from political and ecclesiastical jurisdictions are rarely meaningful. In fact, the only time I could think of using a geographical township (i.e., Township/Range) would be in reference to the location of a homestead or for unnamed townships with no political authority, but those are for historical places. Other than these cases, I think the only thing required on the geographical front would be GPS coordinates."

Marco Just a couple of thoughts

1- On Township/Range --- I have no choice but to use them –I have gathered literally thousands of United States Census records that list the “Place” as a Township/Range. I realize they are “Historical Places”, but I “have” to use them. The fact that they don’t “Resolve” doesn’t give me the “authority” to make up a new name just to make them resolve

2- The problem with GPS Coordinates is that they are technically pinpoints on the earth [and with enough accuracy can be made into pinpoints]. And most [if not all] of the places I have in my data base are not pinpoints

Three examples:

A - A “perfect” township is a six by six mile square on the earth. And I can’t identify that six mile by six mile square with a GPS Pinpoint

B – The city of London also makes up a large Geographical area and it also can’t be represented by a GPS Pinpoint.

C – Arlington National Cemetery also takes up a large geographical area and can’t be represented by a GPS Pinpoint
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 2:56AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 3:17AM GMT 
kj_norway 27 Sep 2012 4:38AM GMT 
silverfox3280 27 Sep 2012 5:20AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 3:00PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Sep 2012 3:51PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 4:58PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Sep 2012 9:35PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 9:57PM GMT 
kj_norway 27 Sep 2012 10:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions