Search for content in message boards

City Without County in Place Hierarchy?

Replies: 23

Re: City Without County in Place Hierarchy?

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 10:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Sep 2012 11:00AM GMT
KathyMarieAnn:
"If the hierarchal construct were established like folders/subfolders in MS Windows or like categories/sub categories in FTM Media or like categories/subcategories in Picasa and the user was able to choose the structure and naming of the folder/subfolders or categories/sub categories that they desired then this entire scheme would work and you would be able to construct any flat view and the corresponding hierarchical view to suit your own needs/desires"

Yes, I wish we had control over the hierarchy and that it wasn't constrained by the PNA over which we have no control. Self-defined hierarchies would also be one step closer to compliance with an old GEDCOM concept that has a lot of merit.

Media subcategories in FTM? Wishful thinking on your part? It's a feature worth wishing for, though I think a better implementation would be hierarchical tags that could be written as metadata to supporting media by FTM.

KathyMarieAnn:
"In individual cases a subfolder/subcategory could be a “Township/Range” or a County or a Political Jurisdiction, or Cemeteries in a “town”, or Cemeteries in a “county”, etc, etc"

Geographical distinctions that differ from political and ecclesiastical jurisdictions are rarely meaningful. In fact, the only time I could think of using a geographical township (i.e., Township/Range) would be in reference to the location of a homestead or for unnamed townships with no political authority, but those are for historical places. Other than these cases, I think the only thing required on the geographical front would be GPS coordinates.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 2:56AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 3:17AM GMT 
kj_norway 27 Sep 2012 4:38AM GMT 
silverfox3280 27 Sep 2012 5:20AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 3:00PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Sep 2012 3:51PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 4:58PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Sep 2012 9:35PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 9:57PM GMT 
kj_norway 27 Sep 2012 10:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions