Search for content in message boards

City Without County in Place Hierarchy?

Replies: 23

Re: City Without County in Place Hierarchy?

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 9:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Sep 2012 9:04AM GMT
kj_norway wrote:
"if the nature of one level renders the level above it ambiguous then then ambiguous level should be eliminated not left blank"

I leave it blank for my exports to my other genealogy software so that it gets inserted where it should over there. In my other software, I leave the fields blank. It's not possible to eliminate them. Even if I could, I'm not sure that I would. It seems sloppy to disregard jurisdictions.

kj_norway wrote:
"However, census records and tax roles are very acurate so these can be used to hint at the actual location"

I agree that I could use other sources to interpret this location, but my question here is how others are dealing with these situations following the introduction of the new hierarchy feature to the Places workspace. Sorry that I didn't make that clearer in my original posting.

kj_norway wrote:
"Saying Hatchville, WI, USA is probably enough for an accurate "jurisdictional" place, since IF the county was jurisdictionally important the information would have been recorded."

Well, it was written in an obituary for a person that isn't important enough for me to research in more detail. I'm content to leave it as "Hatchville, , , Wisconsin, USA". I'm just annoyed that this is one of a huge number of my place names that cannot be accommodated by the new place hierarchy.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 2:56AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 3:17AM GMT 
kj_norway 27 Sep 2012 4:38AM GMT 
silverfox3280 27 Sep 2012 5:20AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 3:00PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Sep 2012 3:51PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 4:58PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Sep 2012 9:35PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 27 Sep 2012 9:57PM GMT 
kj_norway 27 Sep 2012 10:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions