Search for content in message boards

Adding Media in FTM2011

Replies: 9

Re: Adding Media in FTM2011

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 3:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Oct 2012 3:15PM GMT
Since there is only one image, I believe you can only assign one caption to it. I don't think captions work like "tags" where you can have multiple tags to one image.

As for the facts that created/added (or merged, or discarded, at your option), I view them as mandatory, but you can refuse to bring, for example, the name, or merge it and keep the source, or discard it and discard the source, too.

In other words in three censuses for one guy you have:

John S Smith
Steven J Smith
J. S. Smith

You can, and I always do bring all of them over from ancestry and have one as primary and the others as alternative. Sometimes I have to create a primary and use "composite name from various source" as a source.

Or, you can have 3 the same in a row:

John S Smith
John S. Smith
John S Smith

You can merge one and refuse the other two (discard the merge and don't keep the source - or do keep the source, as you wish. (I would keep the source).

You have lots of choices.

The one thing that you don't have a choice over is the married name for the wives. Let's say you have her as her maiden name Mary Smith and 6 census entries with her married name as Mary Jones. I always import all of my names so that I know what a person was known by throughout their life, spelling variations and all - but you don't get the choice to merge an incomeing name to an alternative name - it has to be a primary name. So, you have to merge any duplicates of the married name manually after the merge.

Similarly, many times sex can only be guessed at by the name (ie Frances and Francis is often spelled both ways for both sexes), so I always like that Ancestry brings sex over. That is one fact that you can't discard however.

Birth is merged for the same reasons as name for me - with choices to discard and keep choices.

Residence is the one fact that you want to merge every time, so that you can see the history over a person's life of where they lived. I also add a one line synopsis of the census entry on the Residence line.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DenByrne25 7 Oct 2012 7:48PM GMT 
silverfox3280 7 Oct 2012 10:09PM GMT 
DenByrne25 8 Oct 2012 8:11AM GMT 
silverfox3280 8 Oct 2012 2:22PM GMT 
DenByrne25 8 Oct 2012 8:32PM GMT 
tulrose 8 Oct 2012 8:51PM GMT 
silverfox3280 8 Oct 2012 9:13PM GMT 
DenByrne25 8 Oct 2012 9:35PM GMT 
Timberhawk 9 Oct 2012 3:42PM GMT 
DenByrne25 9 Oct 2012 6:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions