Search for content in message boards

Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Replies: 19

Re: Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 4:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
No flames here. I'm in some agreement. What I was responding to was the sentence, "A shared fact is a married fact". Let me digress and say that my experience is in initiating a geographical database for a 911 Center and creating a report database for a fire department using State algorithms.

There are two things about databases which I am very much an expert on the structure of. There is what is programmed into the software and then there is the real world. Very many times I have seen databases that are created only partially. It requires the IT or user to lie to the system to get in the system what they need. This is frustrating to database developers like myself that see others do that.

In the Ancestry software, yes, it is created for shared facts between married couples. They also smartly allowed for custom shared facts, but that too is restrictive to married couples. Although I'm not supportive of it cause it's gonna make a mess of things, technically they will have to do something about shared facts. This is where their intent and technical aspects of a database clash.

Why would I want to put the same information in multiple times? Some things like Residence info from Census could involve 10 people or more. So I have to put things in 9 times? From a basic user standpoint of a database this is unacceptable. Even Ancestry online does things for multiple people, although it's mainly through 'hints'.

First rule of database development is, 'if i'm entering something in, where else is that exact data needed'. It's not only basic in dBase but also in spreadsheet development. The fact that it's a married couple has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the software. That is a human factor that gets in the way of computer automation.

I'm sorry to rant and I'm not blaming you in the least. But I have seen this time and again in short sighted companies using computer data. They're thinking about the marriage factor where I'm thinking faster, more efficient data management.

Good luck with whatever work you are doing on your family. :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
casey745 3 Nov 2012 11:37AM GMT 
kj_norway 3 Nov 2012 12:15PM GMT 
casey745 3 Nov 2012 12:17PM GMT 
kj_norway 3 Nov 2012 12:22PM GMT 
kj_norway 3 Nov 2012 12:36PM GMT 
casey745 3 Nov 2012 12:39PM GMT 
firejack007 30 Jan 2014 5:30AM GMT 
kj_norway 30 Jan 2014 7:25AM GMT 
firejack007 30 Jan 2014 11:24PM GMT 
kj_norway 31 Jan 2014 1:26AM GMT 
per page