Search for content in message boards

Can't merge two trees in Family Tree Maker

Replies: 13

Re: Can't merge two trees in Family Tree Maker

Posted: 30 May 2013 3:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently came across this problem when assisting a friend to merge her and her cousin’s trees. The trees are large one is 21,000 individuals and 46 Mb the other 20,000 individuals and 45 Mb in size.

I have searched to see if Ancestry states a limit to the file size or the number of individuals that are able to be merged. I cannot find any statement about this. Given this, I should be confident in thinking that the merge would happen. It doesn’t, it just stops some time into it. I should also state that I have carried out all the recommended prerequisite actions before attempting the merge.

As snorris129 points out, modern well written software is capable of performing actions such as this without the problems FTM has with merging. RAM size should be irrelevant (as long as the PC meets the software manufacture’s minimum requirement) as swap files can be employed if RAM limits are exceeded. The PC I tried the merge on far exceeds the recommended requirement stated by Ancestry. It performs flawlessly with databases many times this size.

While I appreciate that John Donaldson is only trying to help someone with a problem, as I have experienced with a good number of his posts in the past, he offers a work around to overcome the application’s deficiencies. John as an FTM beta tester you should be pushing harder for a better product, not encouraging a work around. As for his statement, “It is always great when people in this situation then blame the program.” Well John from my experience in more cases than not with FTM it is the program!!!

Ancestry make millions from users, they need to put more of the profits into creating a product that works.

I am also amazed that if there is a limit to a merge that, the files are not analysed and if the limit is exceeded a message displayed to this effect and the merge aborted before it starts. Why is it let to run 10 – 20 minutes before it stops?

I whole heartedly agree with snorris129, the FTM2012 software is junk. There are problems all throughout it and when I have raised them with Ancestry I am regularly told that the developers are very busy people and a fix is low priority. E.g., If the option for the English (Australian) dictionary is selected nothing happens it just reverts back to English (United States). If they are too busy to fix it, remove the option!!!

I have ranted enough.

Does anyone know if this is currently being addressed by Ancestry? Regardless, I intend to put in an enhancement request. I have a low expectation of any effective action coming from it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
johndd189 25 Dec 2012 11:11PM GMT 
jc33b 28 Dec 2012 12:03AM GMT 
snorris129 13 Mar 2013 5:08AM GMT 
Michael Smith 30 May 2013 9:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic