Search for content in message boards

Online versus on computer

Replies: 19

Re: Online versus on computer

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 6:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
While Ancestry is not about to disappear any time soom, it could happen. More likely their system will overload or your ISP will go down. If you can live with these disruptions to the access to your database go with the online tree. If you know you will only be working on your family. (writing stories, ect) where you will aways have internet access go with the online tree.

However if you go to cemeteries, go to the location of family residence for pictures, visit relatives with questionable internet access, etc. Go with the main database on your computer.

For myself I like having all of my documents (I download everything and scan the rest) and my data on my computer. I can go out in the yard beyond my wireless and work in the shade on nice days, I can take it to the cemetery and check the tombstone information against my database. I don't have to worry which corner of the library I find the books with my information. If I am in a hotel, I am not dependent on their system, nor do I have to worry about getting on a secure network.

As you can see for me there are many incidence where the
internet is unavailable, so I can work anyplace I go.

If you are asking me, then keep everything on your computer, back up your database to one of your other computers or your external hard drive (They are cheap now days) and if you like put your data online as a tertiary location of your information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tlcrogers 5 Jan 2013 8:38PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 6 Jan 2013 5:05AM GMT 
keithnuttle 6 Jan 2013 1:54PM GMT 
tlcrogers 11 Jan 2013 8:13PM GMT 
ginglish1 11 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT 
calvinculver 12 Jan 2013 9:41AM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 12 Jan 2013 2:29PM GMT 
kj_norway 12 Jan 2013 2:53PM GMT 
kj_norway 12 Jan 2013 3:14PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 12 Jan 2013 10:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions