Search for content in message boards

How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

Replies: 17

Re: How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 4:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
That is how I would use the suffix slot if I didn't have other needs for that space. I have tried several methods - all unsatisfactory to some degree.

Currently I am placing the farm/location name immediately after the "surname" as shown in the following example beginning with my maternal grandfather Ole Jorgensen Aasland - (Aasland/Ausland is the westernized surname carried forward by all of Ole's male descendants after his arrival in Minnesota in the early 1880's):.

Ole Jorgensen Aasland N1a & R-U106 = Jorgen Svennungsen Forberget N1a & R-U106 = Svenung Eriksen Forberg R-U106 = Erik Halvorsson Forberg R-U106 = Halvor Gunsteinsson Vriem R-U106 = Gunstein Kittilsson R-U106

As seen in the above example, I am now using the suffix slot for indicating any atDNA "tag" which when entered for each directly related person downstream from the MRCA (most recent common ancestral couple) can be used to trace the DNA path to the actual living "cousin" who has been tested as a match to my DNA line. In the above example the N1a tag shows where my connection is to a specific person with matching atDNA . N1b is the downstream atDNA "tag" for this specific match beginning where our ancestral line splits. N1c would be used next for a third split at the same level and etc. Note that Jorgen Svennungsen Forberget N1a & R-U106 is in the N1a match line but his father is not : ergo: the N1a line comes from his mother's ancestry.

In addition, the suffix slot is being used to carry forward the Y-DNA Haplogroup designation found when my male maternal 1st cousin was tested at FTDNA and the Y-Haplogroup was found to be R-U106.; this is then entered for each direct male line ancestor upstream to the last gxxxx-grandfather known.

From all the "Rube Goldberg" tricks I am using to get the data entered it is obvious the programmers for genealogy tree entry have not begun to consider the new requirements needed for tracing the info brought to light by the various types of DNA test results that are increasingly forthcoming.

Bill

PSxxx
Incidentally, I just confirmed today that beritgullbekk has a 10.61 cM match on chromosome 1 and a 9.20 cM match on chromosome 5 to both me and my Aasland 1st cousin - now comes the task of wading through all the confusing Norwegian naming system and hopefully finding the connection!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kj_norway 9 Sep 2013 1:12PM GMT 
BillHarvey34 9 Sep 2013 5:28PM GMT 
kj_norway 9 Sep 2013 6:16PM GMT 
BillHarvey34 9 Sep 2013 10:58PM GMT 
kj_norway 10 Sep 2013 2:28AM GMT 
BillHarvey34 10 Sep 2013 4:01AM GMT 
beritgullbekk 11 Sep 2013 7:12AM GMT 
beritgullbekk 9 Sep 2013 1:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions