I read your two most recent posts and heartily agree.
On 18 Dec 2012 I could no longer sync. Made several attempts but when FTM2012 started adding /converting individuals from AMT to "NO NAME" and "UNKNOWN", I decided it was time to unlink the two. Previously, I would do all my work in AMT and then synced the changes into FTM with the exception of when I needed to correct placenames in AMT. For placenames, I would make changes in FTM and then have them sync back to my AMT.
After I unlinked my tree (70,000 individuals and 37,000+ media files in FTM) I tried afresh to download my AMT into FTM. Have tried about ten times since 18 Dec but it has always failed. Since December five times I had generated and downloaded a GEDCOM of my AMT which I then imported into FTM2012.
About three weeks ago even GEDCOM generation stopped working for me. After 48 hours of generating a GEDCOM and reaching about 65% complete, the job would stop and no file was available for download. Have tried it about 5/6 times since 8 Feb without success.
Two days ago I called ACOM custoimer service. The rep tried generating a GEDCOM from her end and after several minutes of very little progress in the job, she sent an error report to Tech Support. Am still waiting to hear back on that.
As far as the Sync failure, the Customer Service Rep suggested I send my last good ftm backup for Tech Support to analyze for issues and sent me a FAQ link (http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5336
) discussing how to submit large files. Since my last good ftmb file (backup) was 35G, I attempted to connect to http://www/ge.tt
to submit my file. Unfortunately IE8, Safari, Chrome and Firefox will not connect to that site. My Security software (Webroot) identifies it as an unsafe connection. Given ACOM's history of knowing what is best, I side with Webroot on the issue.
IMHO, ACOM has decided that smoke and mirrors are the best ways to address issues with their software and websites.