Search for content in message boards

Tracking adoptions

Replies: 14

Re: Tracking adoptions

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 10:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
@AGHatchett3rd

"ALL of these reasons are why adopted, step, and foster relations should NOT be included in a family charts - period.

If the report has the word Ancestor(s) of Descendant(s) in it then it is meant to be limited to those and their spouses/children."

I entirely disagree with this statement.

My father was adopted and my entire paternal line represented in my tree is adoptive. There are several reasons why I chose to keep them in:

1) His adoptive mother is the ONLY grandparent I've ever known, and I loved her dearly. To leave her out of my family tree would be an insult to her memory and deny that we were indeed family.

2) Since my father was an only child, my mother and myself are the keepers of his adoptive parents' papers and photos going back to the mid 1800s. Should any extended family ever want to research his adoptive parents, I have a great deal of information that I would be more than happy to share. If I didn't connect my father to his adoptive parents, their lives could be lost to history.

3) I participate in several DNA sites trying to locate my father's birth family. It is always possible that his adoptive parents arranged a private adoption of a family member who could not raise him, which was common in 1930, when he was born. I have actually matched to several lines of his adoptive tree. Should I find that he was indeed related to his adoptive family, I have all this information at hand.

My Dad's record clearly shows the date of his adoption and his records are attached. Anytime someone inquires as to my relationship I always explain that Dad was adopted.

Given the explosion in interest in DNA, particularly amongst adoptees and descendant of adoptees, it would be really nice if genealogical software could accommodate blended and chosen families. This is especially true in an age when half of all marriages end in divorce. At this point, the best we can do is chose an alternate parent and that is not good enough.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rtomalin 26 Jan 2013 11:36AM GMT 
silverfox3280 26 Jan 2013 3:42PM GMT 
rtomalin 26 Jan 2013 4:53PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 26 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 27 Jan 2013 10:20PM GMT 
rtomalin 27 Jan 2013 10:46PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 28 Jan 2013 6:06PM GMT 
flippyiv 14 Jul 2013 5:19PM GMT 
allycat113 3 Aug 2013 4:55PM GMT 
silverfox3280 3 Aug 2013 5:59PM GMT 
per page