Search for content in message boards

Death and Burial

Replies: 20

Re: Death and Burial

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 5:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Oct 2013 5:46PM GMT
I am using 2012, and did not have a problem attributed to FTM. It has been 9 months since I originally posted my question. At that time I was having a problem with the burial fact appearing before the death fact. At this time I do not remember if it was because I was putting a year, in the date field of the burial fact or what. As I said earlier I use the death fact to pick up the information on the cemetery where the burial occurred.

By using aft death date for the burial date it does not matter if it was one day or 5 months, they are both after the date of death

A typical burial fact from my database
Date: aft Jun 15, 1900.
Description: Plot 20 Row 14.
The fact note may have additional information about the cemetery or the burial. ie funreal held a Jones Brothers funeral home.

In DavidNewton31 question about some one who is killed in action. While I have never had this problem, I believe I would put the actual date of his death. Some where in the notes for that person that are printed in the Genealogy reports, I would include the circumstantial evidence for using the date that you put in the death field, and a discussion of the "official" date from the military records. ei Killed on the first day of the Normandy invasion, but his official record shows the date 10 days later when his body was officially found.

In case of Cremation, I have included the name, date, and location of the crematorium

I guess my basic rule in recording information is "Where are the records found". Burial in the funeral home or the cemetery. Cremation the records would be at the crematorium.

This is one thing I don't like about Ancestry Trees. When posted and unless you are invited to the tree, all you get is the variables ie born, married, died. Many times genealogy is not that cut and dried. You may find a birth date for a person, but not a death date. You know he disappears from the records in 1880, and his spouse remarries in 1881. and his estate is probated in 1881. You can assume he died about 1880. Without the circumstantial evidence the number is meaningless.

Genealogy being an inexact science, you need the circumstantial evidence for any "Fact". Even with official records there are some problems. When you find a marriage record, Is the marriage date the date the license was applied for, the date the marriage occurred, the date the minister signed the license, or was it the date the minister, or clerk got around to record it in the official record. This happens with all other records.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kj_norway 11 Feb 2013 9:23PM GMT 
keithnuttle 11 Feb 2013 11:45PM GMT 
mikemaxton 6 Oct 2013 4:09PM GMT 
David Abernat... 6 Oct 2013 5:24PM GMT 
keithnuttle 6 Oct 2013 5:48PM GMT 
DavidNewton31 6 Oct 2013 8:56PM GMT 
silverfox3280 6 Oct 2013 9:58PM GMT 
silverfox3280 6 Oct 2013 10:10PM GMT 
keithnuttle 6 Oct 2013 11:45PM GMT 
mikemaxton 6 Oct 2013 11:11PM GMT 
per page