Search for content in message boards

SURVEY - What facts do you feel comfortable merging from Public Member Trees?

Replies: 69

Re: SURVEY - What facts do you feel comfortable merging from Public Member Trees?

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 1:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
kj_norway comment

"Yes the GEDCOM and FTM are two separate things but if you implement the underlying functions of GEDCOM then you would not need the custom facts."

A key part of above sentence is "but if YOU implement"

Who is "YOU"

1- Is YOU the user, for example "me" the user implementing the underlying functions of GEDCOM?

2- Is YOU FTM implementing the underlying functions of GEDCOM?

3- Is YOU some other genealogy software provider implementing the underlying functions of GEDCOM?

I am not sure who you mean by YOU

But I think YOU means a software provider such as FTM

And it that is true then the users [or standards body's]must somehow convince FTM to implement the underlying functions of GEDCOM?

And from the many many discussions on these threads about this subject there has not been much [if any] success in this endeavor. [I am not sure, but I don't know, if all the underlying functions GEDCOM that are/will be needed presently exist]

And then isn't this just an academic discussion that will go nowhere unless someone such as FTM implements the underlying functions of GEDCOM?

kj I am not trying to pick on anybody here, but my thoughts run the same way as they generally do. In order to make this happen someone needs to convince FTM and/or others to devise and/or implement the underlying needed functions of GEDCOM?

And if that is not done the possibility exists that this wish/desire will continue to be discussed over and over and over

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
silverfox3280 19 Feb 2013 3:10PM GMT 
Rich Canfield 20 Feb 2013 2:00AM GMT 
kj_norway 19 Feb 2013 5:31PM GMT 
silverfox3280 19 Feb 2013 5:53PM GMT 
kj_norway 19 Feb 2013 6:46PM GMT 
kj_norway 19 Feb 2013 7:23PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 19 Feb 2013 8:26PM GMT 
kj_norway 19 Feb 2013 8:59PM GMT 
Rich Canfield 19 Feb 2013 11:29PM GMT 
kj_norway 18 Feb 2013 7:02PM GMT 
per page