Search for content in message boards

SURVEY - What facts do you feel comfortable merging from Public Member Trees?

Replies: 69

Re: SURVEY - What facts do you feel comfortable merging from Public Member Trees?

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 6:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
I NEVER merge from any tree or gedcom. However if I find the image of a document, I will place it on my hard drive and source it to the owner of the tree on which I find the document, I also try to find the original person who posted the image, which sometime is difficult. I don't know how many times I have found chain references for sources, John attached from Joe, Joe attached it form Sally, Sally attached it from Jane, etc. The net results is the data is un sourced.

If I find information of interest, I first contact the owner and ask about the information. From experience, only about 5% of the owners are confident of, or have any knowledge about the information to respond.

If the information is very interesting I added it to the notes section of my database. I put it in a note attached to the person to which it applies, clearly marked with the confidence in the data. When I have verifying documentation, I will then added it to my database. To me verification is, at a MINIMUM, a document image, or a defined transcription traceable to the original documents.

When I started working in genealogy I did some merging, 10 years later and many hours trying to clean the garbage sources from my database, I am still finding questionable sources from those merges.

I hate the way Ancestry handles sources on their trees. Even though they have listed "sources" many of them are circular, and are worthless.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
barbarajfn 20 Feb 2013 4:15AM GMT 
ggjuk 13 Feb 2013 11:28PM GMT 
kj_norway 13 Feb 2013 11:42PM GMT 
ggjuk 14 Feb 2013 10:37AM GMT 
keithnuttle 14 Feb 2013 1:47PM GMT 
Rich Canfield 15 Feb 2013 10:44AM GMT 
kj_norway 15 Feb 2013 7:02PM GMT 
Rich Canfield 15 Feb 2013 8:11PM GMT 
David Abernat... 16 Feb 2013 4:20AM GMT 
silverfox3280 16 Feb 2013 7:13AM GMT 
per page