Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2008 - trouble getting on the internet

Replies: 9

Re: Family Tree Maker 2008 - trouble getting on the internet

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 5:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
My whole problem started when we had a break-in and my laptop was stolen. We had XP and FTN 2008 on that laptop. When the insurance company replaced the stolen laptop, XP was not available, we had to get Windows 7. We had backed up all the 10 years of genealogy research that was on FTM 2008, thank goodness, and we were able to download it all on the Windows 7 new laptop, but there was a problem. Windows 7 did not recognize my FTM 2008 software and let me go out on the web to use with my searching. My husband and I spent several weeks back and forth with the FTM staff and we tried all the pages and pages of things to try that they sent us by email. We also have a company that backs up our computers...they spent a couple of weeks trying to find the
answer, too. I talked to several people at FTM and the last lady (they were all wonderful and tried very hard) said that she was going to get me to try one more thing and if didn't work then she would suggest, as a last resort, to upgrade to FTM 2012. Well, that is what we finally had to do. We got the new FTM 2012 software from FTM for a discount because we had bought the FTM 2008 from them. And it is working grand!! I never had any problems when loosing power, or anything else. I have recently seen info that indicates that Windows 7 and 8 are compatible with 2012...but they are not compatible with FTM 2008. I am not an expert on computers, but my husband is and we felt we had spent enough time trying to fix this problem and we needed to just move on and upgrade. We don't think spending any more time trying to fix the problem would have mattered...it's a software problem. The FTM 2012 is great...very similar to FTM 2008 and I am pleased. Just be sure you have all your settings fixed right...no problems now. By the way, from our break-in we have learned to write
down ALL serial numbers of everything...they caught our guy
and he is awaiting sentencing because he tried to pawn an
item of ours and that triggered a notice to the police dept. as to it being stolen. Write down the serial numbers
and put them in a safe place so you will have them if necessary. I hope you won't go through the same nightmare that we have experienced.
EW
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
danrwilson4 16 Feb 2013 4:07AM GMT 
glencyr67 29 Apr 2013 2:33AM GMT 
David Abernat... 29 Apr 2013 1:18PM GMT 
danrwilson4 29 Apr 2013 2:29PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 29 Apr 2013 3:30PM GMT 
silverfox3280 30 Apr 2013 10:27PM GMT 
danrwilson4 30 Apr 2013 11:49PM GMT 
danrwilson4 30 Apr 2013 11:51PM GMT 
kj_norway 1 May 2013 12:14PM GMT 
danrwilson4 1 May 2013 2:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions