Search for content in message boards

Relationship calculators in FTM and Ancestry don't agree

Replies: 3

Relationship calculators in FTM and Ancestry don't agree

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Do any of you find that the relationship calculators in FTM and Ancestry don't always agree when you are several generations back? For example, on Ancestry on of my ancestors is calculated as the 19th great grandfather of my 21st great grandfather while in FTM he is calculated as my 43rd grandfather. This happens quite frequently and you don't have to be all that far back. I talked to an Ancestry agent about it and was just given the brush off saying it wasn't important. Well, it's important to me. I work with Hints in Ancestry because it's easier than doing it in FTM and do everything else in FTM because it does a lot of things that Ancestry can't. So when I check the relationship in Ancestry and get an answer like the above I have to go back to FTM because I believe it is the accurate one. I may not want the ancestor in my tree if it the way Ancestry describes it but I do want my 43rd grandfather. My trees are synced so there should be no disparity. I would like to see Ancestry calculate correctly.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
zooguy1 19 Feb 2013 12:23AM GMT 
johndd189 19 Feb 2013 2:19AM GMT 
zooguy1 19 Feb 2013 6:17PM GMT 
zooguy1 23 Feb 2013 7:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic