Search for content in message boards

Citing Censuses in FTM - a rant

Replies: 9

Re: Citing Censuses in FTM - a rant

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 12:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please understand, I don't want you to "reject" the information, but understand that by definition citing from a personal website is not a primary, or secondary source but a tertiary source. That is unless the person you are citingis a known authority in the field.

In other words, If someone says "I read that xyz is true." This statement should be recorded and used to further you research but not as a primary source, an never when the primary source is available somewhere. Go get the source.

If you want to cite the website as a source, go ahead, but if I saw that you were linked to my reseach, and all you said was "because I saw it on xyz.com" I would be compelled to go to xyz.com to find their source citations, then go to those sources to find out if the information they found was 1) not transcribed wrong, 2) incorrectly concluded, 3) cited incorrectly.

A case in point: A series of books that everyone in Norway uses to research/show family liniage written by authorities in the field, had my great-granfather's sister as having died of leprosy. I did extensive research on leprosy and even wrote a chapter in my book about how it was treated and cured by a Bergen Doctor shortly after her death.

10 years later I was searching a census document that showed a person living in an appartment on another floor of the same building my g-grandfather lived with much of the same data as his sister. Long-story-short, it was her, she was alive and now has 20 g-grandchildren.

If I had researched the book author's sources (they are rarely cited) I could have been given the opporunity to refute the assertion. Today I never take that information as primary or secondary source, but as a starting point to get to the primary source and good information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
calvinculver 31 Mar 2013 6:28AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 31 Mar 2013 11:22AM GMT 
calvinculver 31 Mar 2013 2:12PM GMT 
kj_norway 31 Mar 2013 3:19PM GMT 
calvinculver 31 Mar 2013 5:24PM GMT 
kj_norway 31 Mar 2013 6:59PM GMT 
calvinculver 31 Mar 2013 11:37PM GMT 
silverfox3280 31 Mar 2013 11:53PM GMT 
calvinculver 2 Apr 2013 1:12PM GMT 
silverfox3280 2 Apr 2013 4:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions