Search for content in message boards

changing computers for syncing and syncing problem

Replies: 3

changing computers for syncing and syncing problem

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 9:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Changing computers for syncing

I currently have my desktop computer FTM set for syncing to ancestry.com. Recently prior to travel, I made a backup of the ftm file, transferred it to my laptop, and ancestry.com recognized my laptop as the syncing computer. It seemed to sync my files with no issues.

I hae read complaints for years about ancestry.com only syncing to one computer, and the above process seems so simple it leads me to believe that perhaps it didnt do what I thought it did, or can cause harm to either the online or computer files.

Can someone confirm this backing up and transferring to another computer method works and causes no harm? Or, did Ancestry.com and FTM change so that a tree can be synced to more than one computer?

If this process is all I need to do to change syncing computers, it will make my research much easier

After i wrote the above, I noticed I am having problems syncing. My great grandmother on my ancestry.com tree is connected to her father, but Ive synced several times and I cant get her father to show on the ftm tree.

There are other instances of this in the tree as well. Any suggestions?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
edwinhturling... 23 Apr 2013 3:21AM GMT 
Sean Franklin 23 Apr 2013 7:07PM GMT 
edwinhturling... 24 Apr 2013 7:18PM GMT 
edwinhturling... 5 Oct 2014 1:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic