Search for content in message boards

Pro Genealogy Naming Conventions?

Replies: 7
Posted: 28 Apr 2013 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 9:25PM GMT
For surnames, I use more of a branch by branch approach for males. As far as daughters of a name, if they married they probably only used their Maiden name a very few times, so I use what their brothers or father used.

For example, I am doing a surname study of Hallock. There have been branches that have adopted Halleck and Hallack spellings. There was also a Halliock spelling before 1790 which completely disappeared by the 1850 census, if not before. There are other spellings in records: Halick, Hollick, etc, which I enter as alternative names but never as a primary name - these have always proven to be mistakes.

The immigrant begins with Hallock. After that, a branch has to prove to me they have changed the spelling. Since I often don't have all the records and the ones I have are sparse, I have to see a definite and consistent change before I will change the patriarch and his children to the new surname spelling of either Hallack or Halleck. Those are the only three spellings I will use as primary names for descendants. I do have some Hallicks in my database, but those are persons not proven to be descendants and may actually be Hallicks (from another immigrant).

First and middle names and their order are more complicated and require a sensible judgement of what to use in the circumstance. I will generatlly give more weight to spellings and variations later in one's life than early in their life for pre-1900 persons. For example, I will usually take a headstone spelling over a pre-1900 birth record spelling, as that is more indicative to me what they desired their name to be. But that's not ironclad, it depends on the circumstances.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lauriemrgn 26 Apr 2013 6:05PM GMT 
silverfox3280 28 Apr 2013 6:55AM GMT 
David Abernat... 28 Apr 2013 4:18PM GMT 
kj_norway 28 Apr 2013 10:25PM GMT 
kj_norway 28 Apr 2013 10:41PM GMT 
silverfox3280 29 Apr 2013 3:18AM GMT 
silverfox3280 2 May 2013 2:41PM GMT 
kj_norway 2 May 2013 4:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions