Search for content in message boards

Pro Genealogy Naming Conventions?

Replies: 7

Re: Pro Genealogy Naming Conventions?

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 12:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 12:57AM GMT
The questions of naming can become very confusing. You've only touched the surface of questions that can come up. Whatever you choose to do, it is best that you try to stay as consistent as possible in your procedures. Some of this is personal preference.

1) This is an age-old question. I will usually use the foreign name for the immigrant. If that immigrant came as a young person and they have a lot of records with the Americanization, I may use the Americanization in the immigrant generation. If the next generation adopted an Americanization, I then show that spelling beginning in that generation. Different siblings may start different Americanization spellings in their respective branches, for example Fenske, Finski, Fenski, and Finske, etc.

2) I don't sync, so I can't answer your question. Do you mean that ancestry doesn't show the same "aka" name that FTM does?

3) I would enter his preferred name as Alexander Herman Fenske with a source of "Composite Name from Multiple Sources". I would enter Herman Alexander Fenske and Alex H Fenske as alternative names, with whatever sources, and Alex as an "aka" name, with its source.

4) If Elsabeth Christina Margaretha Neilson didn't come from a record, where did it come from? If that name comes from a strong source, that would be my primary name and Christina M an alternative name. I wouldn't use Christina as an "aka" as it is already in the name. We oftentimes don't know what their "real" name is (as you apparently do). It therefore is often difficult to know what the order of multiple names a person uses over their lifetime should be - especially when they use John R when younger and Robert J when older. I am usually inclined to use the name order they used later in life, but with all names spelled out (ie no initials, if I know the full name) - as the primary name.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lauriemrgn 26 Apr 2013 6:05PM GMT 
silverfox3280 28 Apr 2013 6:55AM GMT 
David Abernat... 28 Apr 2013 4:18PM GMT 
kj_norway 28 Apr 2013 10:25PM GMT 
kj_norway 28 Apr 2013 10:41PM GMT 
silverfox3280 29 Apr 2013 3:18AM GMT 
silverfox3280 2 May 2013 2:41PM GMT 
kj_norway 2 May 2013 4:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic