Search for content in message boards

Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Replies: 10

Re: Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Posted: 5 May 2013 6:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
When possible I always capture the document images into PDF files. I store these file in a primary folder called Genealogy. The primary folder has secondary folders for each of the 8 grandparents in my wife and my families. Each of grandparent folders are broken down to documents, census, pictures, burial (Tombstone pictures and cemetery maps),etc. They also have folders for the maternal families with a similar folders for the maternal family information.

When possible, if the site does no provide identification to the file, I will add the information as Comments in the PDF file, or if I can get it as a JPG will add the source information to the border of the image and then print it to a PDF from the image processing program.

When I connect them to my FTM file, I do it in their current locations, not importing them into the FTM system.
(I don't have to figure out where FTM put the image, and it is easier to find it in my folder system.)

I only used web links for temporary connections. I have been working at this for many years, and found the web links either die, or are changed over time andmthen your references become worthless. It does not make any difference if it is Ancestry, FamilySearch, or other, reference links change!

Having all of my data and references on my computer makes accessing the data easier and faster, as I am not dependent on quirks of the provider, web, and IPS connection. Also I am not distracted from my purpose by an new interesting hint or document.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DavidHassell4... 5 May 2013 10:52AM GMT 
kj_norway 5 May 2013 11:46AM GMT 
keithnuttle 5 May 2013 12:12PM GMT 
DavidHassell4... 5 May 2013 12:54PM GMT 
keithnuttle 5 May 2013 1:23PM GMT 
kj_norway 5 May 2013 1:45PM GMT 
kj_norway 5 May 2013 1:55PM GMT 
keithnuttle 5 May 2013 5:24PM GMT 
silverfox3280 5 May 2013 9:04PM GMT 
DavidHassell4... 6 May 2013 8:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions