Search for content in message boards

Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Replies: 10

Re: Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Posted: 5 May 2013 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2013 3:09PM GMT
I usually grab a jpg or pdf by right-click - Save File as. I will save it in a personal set of genealogy folders in My Docs.

I will almost always attach that item as an image to a source. When I do that I will COPY (ie not LINK) the item into my FTM Media file.

The FTM media file then becomes a backup for my images. They are also much more easily findable as citation media, as you can find it by Person > Fact, Citation > Fact, or even the FTM filter at the bottom of the index. You can Copy a citation with media attached and then Paste-Link that citation to multiple facts without duplicating the image item.

Sometimes I may find a photo of a person, where I will copy (not link) the image into the FTM media file and attach it directly to the person. This is rare. Most media items are pdfs from books or docs or jpgs of books or docs.

I never link images from FTM to another place on my hard disk. I copy the image instead. You can move and delete files today, without remembering you linked to them from FTM five years ago, and not discover it till ten years from now. Also, any change in the directory path will destroy the link. If you COPY all images to your FTM Media Folder, they'll always be there. I do use LINK to link to a media item that is already in the FTM Media folder. But, again, that is rare.

I also often use *.txt files as media. This is where I've transcribed something (obituary, will) or have received an OCR conversion of a pdf document (after going over it with a fine tooth comb because of all the OCR mistakes). I prefer .txt files over Word docs. Less overhead, everybody can read a txt file, etc.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DavidHassell4... 5 May 2013 10:52AM GMT 
kj_norway 5 May 2013 11:46AM GMT 
keithnuttle 5 May 2013 12:12PM GMT 
DavidHassell4... 5 May 2013 12:54PM GMT 
keithnuttle 5 May 2013 1:23PM GMT 
kj_norway 5 May 2013 1:45PM GMT 
kj_norway 5 May 2013 1:55PM GMT 
keithnuttle 5 May 2013 5:24PM GMT 
silverfox3280 5 May 2013 9:04PM GMT 
DavidHassell4... 6 May 2013 8:15AM GMT 
per page