Search for content in message boards

Organizing digital records & photos in FTM 2012

Replies: 7

Re: Organizing digital records & photos in FTM 2012

Posted: 6 May 2013 1:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
To answer silverfox, I'm trying to get my FTM Media file to match my hard copy filing system (haven't done too much with that yet, stuff is in big piles right now).

I've got files in FTM that aren't attached to ANYONE and I can't tell what's what without opening it b/c of how the files are currently labeled. I've also got duplicates for some reason, and want to delete those. Right now, from the Person tab I look at what media is attached and "rename" there. I LIKE being able to open up my media file on the hard drive and see what file is what based on the file name. Call me weird, but I like my stuff neat and tidy like that. It also will match my originals & backups that I use to send to people that I'm collaborating with. I like to do this directly from the hard drive and not through FTM.

As far as my hard copies go, I'm leaning towards not having too many sub folders; basically surname file with immediate family in their own file. Any copies for that family would be in the file. Not sure yet if I'm going to go and print out ALL my media that is currently attached to my tree, but I do have quite a bit of stuff that wasn't found online, that is now scanned and attached. I'm not comfortable with going completely digital, so will be hanging onto my papers for the time being.

I do understand about not having spaces in the file name from my computer programming days. Also limiting the length of the file name, I've gotten a little piggy with that.

I understand using a numbering system similar to the way a library would do it. I want something that will tell me what the file is just by the name so I don't have to open it up to see what it is. The numbering system doesn't really help me with that.

Hope to hear from others on what you do or use and why you like it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hasenfuss25 6 May 2013 12:54PM GMT 
David Abernat... 6 May 2013 2:20PM GMT 
kj_norway 6 May 2013 5:40PM GMT 
David Abernat... 6 May 2013 6:14PM GMT 
kj_norway 6 May 2013 6:24PM GMT 
silverfox3280 6 May 2013 5:40PM GMT 
hasenfuss25 6 May 2013 7:28PM GMT 
keithnuttle 7 May 2013 2:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions