Search for content in message boards

Ancestry as repository?

Replies: 7

Re: Ancestry as repository?

Posted: 12 May 2013 5:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
For the repository I use the actual repository not Ancestry, Family Search, etc.

The reason is that the online web site change URL's and may not be here tomorrow, so what is to day may not be tomorrow.

If I list the LOC or NARA as the repository I will list one or multiple access points. ie Ancestry, Family Search

I print AKK of my document image to PDF's, so later as I am preparing my sources, I don't always remember exactly which site I found the census records.

I handle state and local data in the same manner. If I have a death record, I can request it form the proper government office. This used to be difficult but is easy with Google.

There are some document images where I reference the online site. An example is the undocumented records from Family Search. From experience, I know that while they came from a local government, the local government may have no idea of where the record is located.

There are some records ie Pennsylvania Church records where Ancestry is truly the repository, and I list as such.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TheDahlstedts 12 May 2013 9:28AM GMT 
BrklynBridge 12 May 2013 9:48AM GMT 
keithnuttle 12 May 2013 11:30AM GMT 
BrklynBridge 12 May 2013 11:57AM GMT 
keithnuttle 12 May 2013 12:24PM GMT 
silverfox3280 12 May 2013 1:34PM GMT 
TheDahlstedts 12 May 2013 2:04PM GMT 
kj_norway 12 May 2013 4:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic