Entering sources in FTM 2011

Replies: 11

Re: Entering sources in FTM 2011

Posted: 14 May 2013 11:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2013 12:06PM GMT
Keith,

"I have also included information on how the document came into my possession."

This is a good point and somethng most genealogy programs do not include in the software. This is something that museums, libraries and good practices do have, an "Accession Process" for sources.

I have encorporated into my process of adding sources an "Accession Process" for any documents, photos and objects that are part of my family history collection. Since I am very serious about family history I collect objects that are important to the history of individuals but may not pertain to their specific genealogy record.

One of my close relative was a potter, and owned a large factory. I have examples of his work. The same is true of several other relatives, that were painters, writers, or other craftsmen. I also have period clothes, furnature, and household items that they owned. All of these items as well as photos of people, places and things are kept in a museum quality application that contains information about how these items were acquired and stories behind the object. I also keep a record of objects that other relatives, museums or similar have in the database as well and any stories that may pertain to the object.

Yes, this software is out of scope for many people but it is (as I see it) part of why I investigate my family (and other peples family) histories. But I do think it is important to maintain Accession Information is some form.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kj_norway 14 May 2013 5:31PM GMT 
Brian Scheick 16 May 2013 8:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions