Search for content in message boards

Entering sources in FTM 2011

Replies: 11

Re: Entering sources in FTM 2011

Posted: 16 May 2013 2:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Craig, your question might be answered, but what I do is use a recognizable title for the Source Title (your ex. 1901 Canada Census), by editing the source I provide all of the info needed to find it again. I do this so I can have one source for 1901 census, not 50 when used for several places or people (easier to find again).

For Citation Detail, I add how to find the person from the source. For the census example, I use Last name, First name, place, district, roll, etc. so "Stacy, Samuel, Province of Ontario, District, township, page, house, family, line". If it's a book, I put "pp. 480-490" or "Chapter 1, pp 44-60", but if a family is mentioned in a specific section, I'll put "Stacy, pp 44-60" .

For Citation Text I put all of the data, for census I list everybody in the household, their ages, occupation, owned or rented, language, etc. Even if I find a census record by searching for a child, where merging records within FTM will make the citation detail the child's name, I edit it to be the name of the head of household, even if the person is a border. If it's a book, I transcribe the whole section that discusses the family. In some books on family history, this is too long, so I break it up. I didn't used to have the transcriptions, especially if they were long, but found I'd have to go back later so eventually would copy it.

In another example using vital records, where the data is one line, the source will be "Town, State vital records", detail would be 'births', the citation text would be "last name, first, child, date" etc. with names in alphabetical order by last name.

One confusion I still have is how FTM lists the source. Ancestry likes their census records citations to start with "Ancetry.com" but then in the short left pane of source tabs, they all look like Ancestry.com and I can't tell them apart unless I drill down. So, I edit the review of the citation (what FTM shows on screen) so it shows as Census, but leave the source intact for printing.

Informal citations like emails or letters (I have not read the Evidence Explained book but have seen the suggestion), I have a source titled "Email", a citation detail of name, email address, and date received, and a citation text of the email body.

As has been stated, I also like to use many facts, so I'll cite the same citation for event facts for a person's name, birth, residence, occupation, etc. but drilling into the citation text will have all of that data in once place.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kj_norway 14 May 2013 5:31PM GMT 
Brian Scheick 16 May 2013 8:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions