Search for content in message boards

Suggestions for FTM 2014

Replies: 75

Re: Suggestions for FTM 2014

Posted: 24 May 2013 5:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
As you might surmise with a user having difficulties for such an extended period of time, most 'easy' remedies have been tried.

I'm using W7 w/12gb RAM, so it would seem hardware is not the issue.

The file is compacted (while the data file is closed) a min twice/wk - and have compacted daily when I was able and inclined to work in the file for longer periods.

The file size is 175mb. This includes 26k names, 1700 media files (all pdf or jpg).

All thru the years the worst problems dealt w/speed of navigation and data entry. 2012 was actually working reasonably well after abt the 2nd patch.

Then after a MS Update in mid-Feb this year, the input and navigation slowed and the system memory crashes began. Whether that was the actual culprit, I'm not positive.

I considered system restore to a time previous to the updates but concluded the OS security updates are more important that an individual program (no problems w/any other programs).

So my research has reduced greatly in time as it is too discouraging and slow to repeatedly close, wait a while, then reopen the program; then repeat; then repeat.

Actually it takes about the same time top open FTM and navigate to the People/Person screen and be ready to enter data as it takes for Windows to boot from a SD condition. But if that slowness was just once/day, I could live w/that.

Over the years I've contacted A.com many times and a couple of times they actually had me export the file to .ged and pass it to them. They claim to never be able to replicate a problem and have never given me any useable advice. With each new program update I always look at the online KB and try those suggestions, to no avail.

So perhaps 2014 will be more stable but they'd better hurry with a working program or I'll have shifted to other activities and probably at some point no longer have a need to purchase their yearly online database access.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KATHYMARIEANN 3 Aug 2013 6:19PM GMT 
LJCzarnik 24 May 2013 3:45AM GMT 
bimyers 2 Aug 2013 4:58AM GMT 
bimyers 2 Aug 2013 5:05AM GMT 
chris_rickaby 21 May 2013 5:36PM GMT 
ralphm66 24 May 2013 7:29PM GMT 
LJCzarnik 24 May 2013 11:03PM GMT 
ralphm66 24 May 2013 11:45PM GMT 
LJCzarnik 25 May 2013 9:54AM GMT 
chris_rickaby 26 May 2013 3:46PM GMT 
per page