Search for content in message boards

FTM upload issue: Foreign characters lost after tree export/import

Replies: 7

FTM upload issue: Foreign characters lost after tree export/import

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 2:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
The new FTM TreeSync feature is a welcome improvement.

Having uploaded a private tree to Ancestry, I wanted to publish a second public version without the media files. An already 'linked' tree can't be uploaded to a second tree as far as I can tell. So, I used FTM to export my tree to disk, without the media files and then reimported it to produce a new tree with the same people but without the photos etc. Seemed to work fine, all names and relationships were still there.

I then uploaded this second slimmed down tree to Ancestry but in that tree, all of the foreign characters in people's names have been replaced by a '?'. The expected characters show up fine in my original linked tree on Ancestry.co.uk and also in both trees in FTM.

Anyone know how I can I fix this issue? Is there maybe a way of setting the import/export character encodings? Ancestry does support the missing (Swedish) characters -- as I said, my original tree looks fine.

BTW, uploading two different versions of the same tree might seem an odd thing to want to do, but I do have my reasons!

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with English(UK) locale settings. I exported+imported using an .ftm file. The characters I need are: ÅÄÖåäöé
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
yetanotherexp... 9 Jun 2013 8:38PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 9 Jun 2013 10:56PM GMT 
yetanotherexp... 10 Jun 2013 7:26AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 10 Jun 2013 1:12PM GMT 
yetanotherexp... 11 Jun 2013 6:56AM GMT 
kj_norway 11 Jun 2013 12:07PM GMT 
yetanotherexp... 11 Jun 2013 12:52PM GMT 
yetanotherexp... 12 Jun 2013 6:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions