Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker ----- File Size

Replies: 31

Re: Family Tree Maker ----- File Size

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 11:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
A little more detail on my process re: media

I have been using this process forever, I am not advocating that any one else follow it

1-I find a record somewhere/anywhere
2-If the record was not on the internet I photograph it or scan it and LOAD it into my windows IMAGE file on my computer
3-If the record was on the internet I DOWNLOAD it to my computer into my windows IMAGE file
4-I edit/crop the record and turn it into a JPEG if necessary
5- I save the JPEG in the windows IMAGE file and I name the JPEG Image with the EXACT same name as the name I am going to use for my FTM Source Name [i.e. My FTM Source Name is EXACTLY the same name as my Image Name]
6-I extract the fact/event data from the image/record and load it in to my data base as Source Attributes [so the attribute data is in FTM 2012 and the Image is in my windows IMAGE file and my Media file in FTM 2012 file is empty and I don’t run the risk of broken links or suffer the consequence of loading up FTM 2012 with images]

I also have three screens on my computer

If I ever want to review the image, or check to see if I entered all the data from the image/record, I look at the attributes/fact/sources data on FTM 2012 on one screen and look at my Windows image file on a second screen. Since my Source Name is EXACTLY the same as my Image Name it is easy to find/compare/review

This process helps to reduce broken links and reduces the size of my FTM file, but very importantly I am able to SIMULTANEOUSLY see the data on FTM 2012 on one screen and see the image/record on a second screen

This process works so well I am very reluctant to either link or embed my images to FTM 2012.

BUT WITH ALL THIS [NON LOADING OF IMAGES INTO FTM] I AM STILL EXPERIENCING CRASHES, SLOWNESS, ETC OF FTM 2012--------SO MY ONLY HOPE IS THAT THE DEVELOPERS WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE PROBLEM IN FTM 2014

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mholtzapfel 19 Jun 2013 8:53AM GMT 
jnye042 19 Jun 2013 4:14PM GMT 
mholtzapfel 20 Jun 2013 3:31PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 19 Jun 2013 4:29PM GMT 
mholtzapfel 20 Jun 2013 3:22PM GMT 
barbarajfn 20 Jun 2013 3:42PM GMT 
mholtzapfel 21 Jun 2013 3:33PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 21 Jun 2013 5:08PM GMT 
alanmon 21 Jun 2013 6:03PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 21 Jun 2013 9:31PM GMT 
per page