Search for content in message boards

Upgrading from a (Way) older version to a new version.

Replies: 3

Re: Upgrading from a (Way) older version to a new version.

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 7:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2013 7:11AM GMT
If you have FTM 11 with the old database format prior to the change follow the previous instructions. To be safe you may wish to add the FBK file

I don't know about FTM 11 (assume you mean FTM 2011), but to move the complete file for FTM 2012 you need a couple of more files. I believe at a minimum you will need these file:

My Family.FTM
My Family.ftmb
My Family.ftm.bkup
My Family_AutoBackup.ftmb

and most importantly copy the "My Family Media" folder and all of the files it contains.

If you have a lot of external media connected to the database, you will need to find and transfer all of these files to your new computer.

("My Family" should be replaced by what ever you call your file.)

Again assuming you are talking about FTM 2011, that would indicate your computer is no more that five or six years old.

If so the computer should have an IEEE port which can be connected directly to your router or the new computer. These cables are not expensive and would save a lot of time. This would allow you to easily copy the contents of the old computer to your new computer. You would set it up using one of the windows wizards.

When you have everything transferred the connection can be easily remove from the new computer. (I would leave it in place for a while, because as you use the new computer you may find there is more you will want from the old computer.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hansenmd 1 Jul 2013 2:35AM GMT 
johndd189 1 Jul 2013 3:46AM GMT 
keithnuttle 1 Jul 2013 1:08PM GMT 
ginglish1 1 Jul 2013 5:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic