Search for content in message boards

Upgrading from a (Way) older version to a new version.

Replies: 3

Upgrading from a (Way) older version to a new version.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
All,

In 2005 we had a family reunion and use Family tree Maker (version 11) to document the data we got from family members. That version still works on that old PC, but the PC is getting unstable.

I would like to get the current version of Family Tree Maker and bring over my old data so I can update it with the happenings that have gone on since there. My older computer is not on a network, it's a stand alone.

My questions are:

Can I do that? If I purchased the newest version of Family Tree Maker, can I take the data from the old version and have the new version read the data correctly?

Will it read a back up? Or do I need to (can I) export the data and import the data in the new version?

Can I install the new version of Family Tree Maker, and the data, on an external hard drive so when I get my next PC, I won't have this problem again?

I don't need to search any on line databases, what version of Family tree Maker would you suggest?

Any help in this migration is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Hansen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hansenmd 1 Jul 2013 2:35AM GMT 
johndd189 1 Jul 2013 3:46AM GMT 
keithnuttle 1 Jul 2013 1:08PM GMT 
ginglish1 1 Jul 2013 5:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions