Search for content in message boards

Best way to create a book of your tree

Replies: 29

Re: Best way to create a book of your tree

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 7:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Jamdo comment – 7 Jul 2013 12:52PM

“….A good thing about making books and the reports is that they will automatically update when new data is added.”

The key words are “automatically update”

It has been my experience that all Reports/Report Chapters” in a book will not automatically update to the latest version of a data base

To verify this do the following:

1- Create a new file
Enter in the file a person named “Daughter Smith” and her birth date
Enter her father as Father Smith and his birth date

2 Create a Custom Report that shows Daughter Smith and her Ancestors and their birthdates

3-Save the report

4-Create a book with only one “Chapter” and put the saved report from Step 3 in that chapter

5-Go back to the Data Base File and add the mother of Daughter Smith as Mother Jones and add her birth date

6- Go back to the saved Custom Report and open it --- I think you will/should get a message here that essentially says the Report and the Data base are not in alignment

7- Go to the Book and open the chapter and you will/ should get the same message you got in step 6

Steps 6 and 7 show that the system does not automatically update the Custom Report

In order to update it you will have to run/manually update the report/book for the [potential] [in this case] new ancestors from the last time you ran it

I have found this to happen on basically any report that uses a “Filter” to establish who goes in the report/book [i.e., the filter does not automatically update the report/book]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
aresquare 7 Jul 2013 4:06PM GMT 
jamclo 7 Jul 2013 4:25PM GMT 
keithnuttle 7 Jul 2013 6:44PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 10 Jul 2013 1:51PM GMT 
lbragg 7 Jul 2013 6:52PM GMT 
David Abernat... 7 Jul 2013 8:14PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 7 Jul 2013 9:44PM GMT 
keithnuttle 8 Jul 2013 12:43PM GMT 
aresquare 8 Jul 2013 2:19PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 8 Jul 2013 2:29PM GMT 
per page