Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Enhancement Request

Replies: 0

FTM 2012 Enhancement Request

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 10:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
FTM 2012 / Win 7

I've been waiting for this for a long time and I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but it bothers me so I'd like to mention it again: Make relationship types matter.

1) I have Derek Martin, step-son of Sue Rasmussen. He's my step-1st cousin, and the relationship type with Sue is "Step". The relationship report (including what shows up by his name on the Family tab of the People view) understands him as the biological son of Sue, so it lists him as my 1st cousin. But there's no actual biological relationship. I don't care who his real mother is. She doesn't matter for my research (my ancestors and their descendants). But he does. He was part of the family (until the parents divorced). I make my general rule throughout my research that if a person appears on a record with certain children (like a census record), then those children at one time were theirs, no matter the relationship. But for records purpose, the relationship matters. And FTM doesn't account for these settings almost anywhere.

2) For example, in many reports (text and tree), but more importantly, on the tree in the Family tab of the People view and the list of children, there's no indication that someone is anything other than a biological child. It makes the information appear to say something it's not supposed to say.

3) None of the relationship information transfers over to Ancestry.com; anyone viewing my tree online would have no idea.

Marriage relationship stuff is a little different because it seems some of the settings are for the purpose of the calendar report, but others are for the purpose of historic relationship. The only way to make that relationship information matter is to separate it into two fields (relationship type and ending status or something like that, so you could say "married" or "civil union" for type and "annulled" or "divorced" for ending status - never quite sure what the purpose of "deceased" was as the calendar report *should* be able to figure that out from their facts).

* Note: Due to the lack of a public bug database, sometimes I post bugs and enhancement requests on this message board *as well as* submitting them to FTM. This is an effort to make the bugs public.

** Disclaimer: I am not connected with Family Tree Maker or ancestry.com in any way. I am a FTM user who is submitting bug reports independently. I may not reply to this thread.

Find a board about a specific topic