Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 Compact File

Replies: 7

Re: FTM2012 Compact File

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
John, I'm a little confused about your last response.
I have a secure backup strategy, but I rely on FTM2012 functionality to inform me should my file become malformed, and this was the basis for my original question.
I don't think you are suggesting that the abort that I am always getting at the end of FTM2012's "Compact File" operation is caused by using a hard disk when applying the "Backup Option". But, in any case, the abort that is always occurring at the end of the compact file operation happens whether the backup option is exercised or not. To add a little more confusion to this problem is the fact that when FTM2012 is restarted, it recognizes that it had previously aborted and suggests that the "Compact File" operation be performed to assure file integrity. If one were to follow this procedure, they would endlessly continue to invoke "Compact File", because it ends with an abort.
Perhaps my last message wasn't clear, so let me rephrase it this way-
The common and known error message "Family Tree Maker 2012 has stopped working" is issued on FTM2012 aborts.
Whenever I employ the "Compact File" operation, and after it completes and reports percentage of file compaction, FTM2012 aborts giving the above error message.
If I have understood your previous message, the fact that the compact file itself was successfully completed is assured because the % compacted was reported and no errors were issued prior to that.
So the compact file operation itself works correctly and my file has been compacted and is good, but after this FTM2012 then always aborts.
Now if my problem has been made clear, my question is-
Is this specific abort already known about, or should it be reported.
Thank you again for your thoughts on this.
-Tom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tom Melton 9 Aug 2013 3:10AM GMT 
johndd189 9 Aug 2013 6:16AM GMT 
Tom Melton 9 Aug 2013 2:53PM GMT 
johndd189 10 Aug 2013 12:24AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 10 Aug 2013 12:28AM GMT 
Tom Melton 10 Aug 2013 2:42AM GMT 
johndd189 10 Aug 2013 5:04AM GMT 
keithnuttle 10 Aug 2013 1:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic