Search for content in message boards

Wish I had signed up for the beta

Replies: 35

Re: Wish I had signed up for the beta

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 7:09AM GMT
Classification: Query

kj_norway comment on AKA [ and tony_knight comments]

kj I do have some [hopefully serious] comments on this --- I don’t know what is correct, but here is what I have been doing

Using the US census as the first example:

In one census I have a person named John Jones, so I list his name as John Jones and create all the appropriate sources, attributes etc

I another census I have the same person listed as James Jones, so I list his name as James Jones and I create all the appropriate sources, attributes etc

I do this process for many other censuses and find that his first name is either shown as James or John

So I create another name for him and call it John James Jones ---I have no record for this but I list it as a name and do not create sources, attributes for it because I have none [I also use this as the preferred name]

In all the above I use the fact name “Name”

I also have instances that run along the line of what tony_knight is talking about – an alias

In fact I have it exactly for my grandfather

When he was in Maine he used the name Robert E Johnson [I made this up to protect the innocent]

And when he was in Kansas he used the name William B. Johnson

I found that he had done this on purpose and was using the first instance as an Alias

So when I entered his name in the data base I entered it as William B. Johnson and then I entered the second name [Robert E. Johnson] as an AKA since to me he was actually using it as a different [alias] name and all the people he knew in Maine knew him as Robert E and all the people he knew in Kansas knew him as William B

I have other instances such as this and have ended up using both “Name” and “AKA” depending on the situation.

Again my old plea ---------it would be helpful if the people who are designing these systems would define their terms and provide example of how and when to use them

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 3:15AM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 20 Aug 2013 6:06AM GMT 
tony_knight 20 Aug 2013 6:37AM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 12:04PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 20 Aug 2013 12:10PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 12:30PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 20 Aug 2013 12:45PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 20 Aug 2013 12:05PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 20 Aug 2013 1:09PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 1:35PM GMT 
per page