Search for content in message boards

Wish I had signed up for the beta

Replies: 35

Also Known As Fact - Effects in FTM

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 9:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Aug 2013 9:39AM GMT

Using the "Also Known As" fact has effects in FTM in two places: 1) the index and 2) reports.

1) The index -

a) the PREFERRED aka can be included in quotes between the first and middle name of a person.
b) the PREFERRED aka can be included in the index as a separate entry (this will probably slow your program operation down.)

Other AKA facts that NOT preferred facts will have no impact on the index, whether in quotes or as a separate entry.

2) REPORTS

Using the Genealogy (register) Report, a name can have the PREFERRED aka in quotes in between the first and middle names in the opening paragraph of that person's "sketch".

NON-PREFERRED AKA's are presented in the "other facts" section (which can be a list or a paragraph) in a sentence as: WAS ALSO KNOWN AS

NON-PREFERRED NAMES are presented in the "other facts" section (which can be a list or a paragraph) in a sentence as: HE/SHE ALSO WENT BY THE NAME OF.."

Effect on WorldConnect presentations.

Worldconnect will read gedcoms and present an index of all names, both preferred and not preferred, but no "also known as" names.

As for myself, I gave up on FTM's complete compatibility to gedcom years ago. As Bruce Willis said at the end of his sketch in Pulp Fiction: "Zeb is dead, baby, Zeb is dead". That kind of sums up my feelings about gedcom.

So, I enter data with the primary priority of how that information will appear in FTM reports, not be compatible with gedcom.

I record nicknames and variations of a first name as aka. I rarely will put a surname as also known as. I record EVERY instance of a name that a person uses in their life, no matter how it is spelled - as a separate Name fact.

That's not to say my practice is right or wrong - I'm just throwing my practice out there.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tony_knight 20 Aug 2013 1:48PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 20 Aug 2013 3:33PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 3:21PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 3:38PM GMT 
tony_knight 20 Aug 2013 4:10PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 4:13PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 20 Aug 2013 4:24PM GMT 
dmossfritch 20 Aug 2013 4:44PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 5:04PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 5:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions