Search for content in message boards

Wish I had signed up for the beta

Replies: 35

Re: Wish I had signed up for the beta

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 11:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
AKA is used specifically in the FTM software to allow additions to the index of names.

Firstly, it can be added as an extra entry in the index - FTM normally only adds the preferred name to the index. (For this reason it might require a surname).

Secondly, it can be included in the preferred name for display purposes or index purposes e.g. John "Johnno" Smith.

Using the NAME fact for this purpose would not work as which one would you choose?

Those people who use AKA for married name do it in order to get the name to appear in the index under both possible surnames. I don't personally use it this way, but it is an interesting idea.

If you want to do away with AKA then you need an "Indexed" property added to the name fact to indicate that it should appear in the index, and you need a NICKNAME fact to display the name in quotes between the normal name and surname. AKA fulfils both of these possibilities - albeit not both at the same time.

Just because you don't use the AKA fact doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Chris.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chris_rickaby 23 Aug 2013 5:06PM GMT 
kj_norway 23 Aug 2013 8:30PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 5:29PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 2:34AM GMT 
dmossfritch 21 Aug 2013 2:59AM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 3:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions