Search for content in message boards

Wish I had signed up for the beta

Replies: 35

Re: Wish I had signed up for the beta

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 10:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
We (this includes me) must be very carefull when using terms in general. Everywhere different groups reuse words and change the definition to match their need. I can't use many terms today that I could use 10-20-30 years ago because people have put a different spin on them so todays offensive word was yesterday's common word.

I just say this because Alias is one of those words. In GEDCOM terms, "alias" is used to mean "Could be the same person." I use this when I'm doing research and I think I've found the right person but not all of the proof is in yet. This could be that I found an individual that has the same or similar name and I "think" they are someone already in my database but I'm not convinced 100% and so I don't mess up my current information with "maybe" data I add a second indivual and connect them via the ALIA tag.

However, alias is a term that people use to mean:

"a false name used to conceal one's identity; an assumed name: The police files indicate that “Smith” is an alias for Simpson."

This, if verified" would become just another NAME on the current instance of the INDIvidual record as a type of "aka".

I have several of these in my database, for the most part they are "stage" names or "pen" names. Because my primary database supports the NAME.TYPE as specified in GEDCOM v5.5.1 I use the TYPE of "pen" or "stage" rather than "aka" because I use "aka" for various misspellings. Because many of my relative never had surnames I tend to also use "aka" to represent the various geonomic name variants these people had over time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dmossfritch 20 Aug 2013 5:31PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 5:59PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 2:20AM GMT 
silverfox3280 21 Aug 2013 3:17AM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 3:39AM GMT 
dmossfritch 21 Aug 2013 4:30AM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 21 Aug 2013 3:10PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 4:08PM GMT 
silverfox3280 21 Aug 2013 5:16PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 8:51PM GMT 
per page