Replies: 35

Re: Wish I had signed up for the beta

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 9:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 9:17AM GMT
Ran on to this while using the The Completer Genealogy Builder Program

Beginning copy

Aliases List

An alias is not an alternative name for an individual. Alternative names are specified within the Name List via the Name form.

An alias is defined by the GEDCOM 5.5 standard as an individual defined separately "who may be the same person". The intent is that it may not be clear whether two recorded individuals are in fact the same individual, and that further research is required in order to clarify the situation. Should the outcome be that the two individuals were the same individual, then the alias should be removed and, if appropriate, the name of the alias should be added as an alternative name to the remaining record.

Compliance Issue

Some programs may interpret and/or export ALIA tags to mean alternative names. This is non-standard practice and The Complete Genealogy Builder will not interpret and/or export ALIA tags in this manner

End Copy

I don't know if this helps the cause

But to me the important thing is that they are providing definitions for things like this

My wish is that FTM would do more of this type of thing--That is, provide definitions and explanations

I think if they did this it could clear up many things -----For example does the census show a residence for a person or can it be that the person justs happens to be at that geographic location when the census taker came to the door -------That is should users be using the word residence or should they be using the words geographic location

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dmossfritch 20 Aug 2013 5:31PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 5:59PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 2:20AM GMT 
silverfox3280 21 Aug 2013 3:17AM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 3:39AM GMT 
dmossfritch 21 Aug 2013 4:30AM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 21 Aug 2013 3:10PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 4:08PM GMT 
silverfox3280 21 Aug 2013 5:16PM GMT 
kj_norway 21 Aug 2013 8:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions