Search for content in message boards

Wish I had signed up for the beta

Replies: 35

Re: Wish I had signed up for the beta

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 11:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Aug 2013 11:04AM GMT
dmossfritch,

I don't recall if it was your request or not. So if it was and I miss quoted you sorry.

This however does not change anything about what I said. The index does not support multiple names I realize this, you have to set a switch to place married name in the index which then drops the birth name. Again, this is wrong from a design standpoint.

The index should contain all names with the ability to sort/display on the type of name, either aka, married, pen, stage, date of use, whatever you need. A name index that only contain the perfered name either from the NAME field or AKA field is IMHO broken.

Again, as was also noted in a thread in the "beta board" you should not be talking about "work arounds" if the software does not work correctly "call them on it".

The name index should index all names, AND give me the ability to filter that list based on attributes of that index one of those attributes is (or should be) type, another can be date, or something else I can't think of.

This is the way every SQL reporting software/program have used or written works. Yes I wrote a SQL report generator several years ago for a software company, parts of which are still in use today.

dmossfritch, I'm not saying spelling changes are not an "aka" I'm saying that AKA is implemented incorrectly from a database design standpoint. I say this to take out of the equation everyone who says "GEDCOM is dead", even if it is dead, good database design is not!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tony_knight 20 Aug 2013 1:48PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 20 Aug 2013 3:33PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 3:21PM GMT 
silverfox3280 20 Aug 2013 3:38PM GMT 
tony_knight 20 Aug 2013 4:10PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 4:13PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 20 Aug 2013 4:24PM GMT 
dmossfritch 20 Aug 2013 4:44PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 5:04PM GMT 
kj_norway 20 Aug 2013 5:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions